Урок английского языка по теме «The degrees of comparison of adjectives»
для 7 класса
Даулетиярова Акмарал Булатбековна
учительница английского языка
школы-лицея №249, г.Казалы
Республика Казахстан, Кызылординская область
The aims: a) educational: to guide the students to an understanding of the comparison of adjectives
b) developing: to develop pupils’ skills of reading, tidy writing, listening and speaking, their mental abilities.
c) cultural: to bring up pupils to respect each other, to be tidy, polite, responsible.
The type of the lesson: mixed lesson
The kind of the lesson: mastering new material
Teaching methods: explaining, listening, reading, comparing, speaking.
Literature: English VII, O. V. Afanasyeva, I. V. Mikheeva–Moscow, “Prosveshcheniye”, 2009y
Visual aid: an interactive board, ActiVote
The procedure of the lesson
I. Organization moment
T: Good morning, pupils!
P: Good morning, teacher!
b) asking the date
T: What date is it today?
P: Today is the 9th of December
c) checking up the attendance
T: Who is on duty today?
P: I am on duty today.
T: Who is absent?
P: All are present.
d) distributing the students’ workbooks
II. Checking up the homework 48 points
Ex 9. Divide the adjectives into 3 categories: a) adjectives describing person’s appearance; b) adjectives describing person’s character; c)adjectives describing other qualities
attractive slim tall poor
boring attentive serious stern
educated stupid ugly pleasant
fragile short gloomy shy
independent progressive clever careless
famous cheerful polite lazy
noble mysterious brave free
greedy strong honest dull
bouncy fat great lovely
lonely curious wise slow
modest young thin tidy
smart wicked sad firm
adjectives describing person’s appearance
adjectives describing person’s character
adjectives describing other qualities
ІІІ. Presentation of the new lesson
Adjectives. Degrees of Comparison
1. Односложные прилагательные
2. Двусложные прилагательные на:
3.Двусложные прилагательные с ударением на втором слоге
4. Трехсложные прилагательные с приставкой un-
1.Bce остальные двусложные прилагательные
прилагательные (три и более слогов)
IV. Speech-drill exercises
Exercise 1. Fill in the blanks with the correct comparative and superlative degrees of following adjectives 11 points
hard _____________ ______________
cold _____________ ______________
soft _____________ ______________
tall _____________ ______________
rich _____________ ______________
mad _____________ ______________
funny _____________ ______________
big _____________ ______________
sad _____________ ______________
busy _____________ ______________
noisy _____________ ______________
Exercise 2. Fill in the blanks with the correct comparative and superlative degrees of following adjectives – 6 points
foolish _____________ ______________
harmful _____________ ______________
valuable _____________ ______________
difficult _____________ ______________
generous _____________ ______________
Ex 3. Complete 20 points
A. Write the comparative form of the adjectives
1) Ann is ___________ (happy) than her sister.
2) My hair is ______________ (long) than my sister’s hair.
3) These exams are getting ___________ (bad) and ___________ (bad) every year.
4) John is ____________ (thin) than Bob.
5) Steve is _____________ (happy) today than he was yesterday.
6) Mary’s car is ____________ (large) than Mark’s car.
Write the superlative form of the adjective:
1) I am _____________ (tall) in the class.
2) This is _______________ (expensive) hotel I’ve ever stayed in.
3) This road is ______________ (narrow) of all the roads in California.
4) New York is one of the ______________ (busy) cities in the USA.
5) Jack is _____________ (good) football player in the team.
6) North Pole is _______________ (cold) place on Earth.
7) My father is ______________ (generous) of all the people I know.
C. Insert comparative or superlative form of the adjective:
1) I think John is _____________ (happy) now than the year ago.
2) His _______________ (big) desire is to return home.
3) She is probably ________________ (angry) person I know.
4) Today’s weather is ____________ (bad) than the yesterday’s.
5) My brother is ___________ (young) than me.
6) He drove _________ (fast) and __________ (fast) till we told him to stop.
7) ______________ (many) people want to be rich
Ex 4. a) Compare these mobile phones 6 points
Name: Nokia 5800
Price: $ 278
Camera: 3.15 Megapixels
Memory: 81 Mb
Functions: MP3 player, radio, JAVA -games, Bluetooth, wi-fi, GPS.
Weight: 109 g
Name: Samsung Star S5230 noble black
Memory: 50 Mb
Functions: MP3 player, radio, Bluetooth.
Weight: 92 g
Name: Sony Ericsson W205 Black
Camera: 1.3 Megapixels
Memory: 5 Mb
Functions: radio, games, MP3 player, Bluetooth.
Weight: 96 g
1. (cheap) Samsung is cheaper than Nokia.
2. (expensive) Nokia is ___________________________ Sony Ericsson.
3. (good) The camera in Samsung is _______________________ the camera in Sony Ericsson.
4. (bad)The camera in Sony Ericsson is __________________________ the camera in Nokia.
5. (many) There are ________________ memory in Nokia ____ in Samsung.
6. (little) (memory) _________________________________________________________.
7. (big) The display in ________________________________________________________.
b) Compare people 10 points
1.Alice is the (YOUNG).
2.Homer is the (OLD).
3.Bob is (YOUNG) than Homer.
4.Homer is (OLD) than Alice.
5.Alice is (SLIM) than Bob.
6.Bob is (SHORT) than Homer.
7.Homer is (FAT) than Bob.
8.Alice is (SHORT) than Homer.
9.Homer can play the guitar (GOOD) than Alice.
10.Alice draws (BAD) than Bob.
Ex 5. Read the poem, learn it and find the adjectives and write their degrees of comparison 5 points
Just for You
I picked the reddest apple from the tree
It was the finest one that I could see
I saved it all except a bite or two
Just for you.
I carried home the groceries from the store
I wanted to be helpful with a chore
I put them all away except a few
Just for you.
Some day I'll be grown up too
And if I can I'll grow up just like you
I ate up all my lunch just like you said
But I think there was a little too much bread
And so I left the crust when I was through
Just for you.
red – redder – the reddest
fine – finer – the finest
helpful – more helpful – the most helpful
Ex 6. “The day of independence” – essay 10 points
V. Consolidation of the lesson. Test (ActiVote) 10 points
1. It’s ………………… (difficult) rule of all.
a. difficult b. more difficult c. the most difficult d. difficulter
2. This pen writes …………. (good) than my previous one.
a. better b. gooder c. good d. the goodest
3. This athlete is ……………. (strong) than this competitor.
a. strong b. the strongest c. more strong d. stronger
4. This pupil is ……………. (clever) in the class.
a. clever b. more clever c. the cleverest d. the most clever
5. This is ……………….. (old) castle in Britain.
a. the oldest b. the eldest c. an old d. older
6. Health is ……………….. (important) than money.
a. important c. more important
b. importanter d. the most important
7. This path is ……………. ( narrow) than the parallel one.
a. a narrow b. narrower c. the narrowest d. more narrow
8. Luxurious hotels are …………….. (expensive) than those of economic class.
a. more expensive c. the most expensive
b. an expensive d. expensiver
9. The second part of the film is ………………. (boring) than the first one.
a. a boring b. boringer c. the most boring d. more boring
10. This highway is ……….. (wide) than that highway.
a. wider b. the widest c. more wide d. the most wide
1 – c 6 – c
2 – a 7 – b
3 –d 8 – a
4 – c 9 – d
5 – a 10 – a
Total – 126 points
Ex 14 on page 108
VII Evaluation of the pupils.
120 – 126 points – “5”
101 – 119 points – “4”
75 – 100 points – “3”
VIII. The end of the lesson
The lesson is over. Good bye.
1. English VII, О.В. Афанасьева, И. В. Михеева – Москва, «Просвещение», 2009 г
2. Dixon, R. M. W. (1999). Adjectives. In K. Brown & T. Miller (Eds.), Concise encyclopedia of grammatical categories (pp. 1-8). Amsterdam: Elsevier. ISBN 0-08-043164-X.